This dish is simple with a gourmet flair. Something that can help you enjoy the fruits of your garden before the first frost sets in.
1/2 cup raw cashews
1/2 cup unsweetened, unflavoured almond milk
9 ounces uncooked pasta
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 1/2 cups diced fresh or canned tomatoes (drain juice if using canned)
3 handfuls spinach
1 to 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 cup packed fresh basil, finely chopped
2 to 3 tablespoons tomato paste, to taste
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
Place the cashews in a bowl and add enough water to cover. Soak the cashews for at least 2 hours, or overnight. Drain and rinse the cashews. Place them in a blender along with the almond milk and blend on the highest speed until smooth. Set aside.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Prepare the pasta according to the instructions on the package, cooking until al dente.
In a large wok, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the onion is translucent. Add the diced tomatoes and spinach and continue cooking for 7 to 10 minutes over medium-high heat, until the spinach is wilted.
Stir in the cashew cream, nutritional yeast, basil, tomato paste, oregano, salt, and pepper, and cook for 5 to 10 minutes more, or until heated through.
Drain the pasta and add it to the wok. Stir to combine the pasta with the sauce. Cook for a few minutes, or until heated through. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.
Recipe is courtesy of the Oh She Glows cookbook by Angela Liddon.
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Share on Skype (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)